Wednesday 22 February 2012

Tornado #19 (1979)

Tornado was a weekly British anthology comic from 1979 which lasted for just 22 issues.  This is the obligatory Spacemen cover from issue 19 especially for those post Star Wars sci-fi hungry kids.

And here's a close up.
While I like the overall composition, the suits themselves are a bit old fashioned for the time.  I've no idea who the cover artist was but as ever I'll update this post if anyone out there wants to throw a name at me.

Massimo Belardinelli has been suggested by DeadSpiderEye in the comments below which sounds good enough to me as a quick google image search shows work of comparative style and quality.  As ever many thanks for all feedback that makes the blog better and more accurate


Steve

6 comments:

  1. I'm pretty certain the artist is Massimo Belardinelli, he did a lot of work in the 70's - 80's for IPC. He was particularly good at line work and inking and his work was always meticulously finished. I was a big fan of his at one time, as my taste progressed I found his figure work a bit stilted and composition a bit baroque. I've acquired a fresh appreciation of his work now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for that, DeadSpiderEye. It's good to have a name attached to the art. It's especially nice to credit these unsung heroes of childhood so that we can appreciate them again when we're all a bit older. Cheers and many thanks again

      Delete
  2. Great find. Look like it is over for the astronaut in the yellow suit. Any chance that we could see some of the inside pages? I would love to see those spacemen battling for asteroid X44…
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a cover scan I'm afraid. I don't think I ever owned any Tornado.
      I had Crunch, Star Wars Weekly, Doctor Who and Star Lord... not all of them every week I'm might add but switching from one to the next new one, following the free gifts. I still have the Doctor Who but everything else went to the great jumble sale in the sky. Not sure if any of our regular blog-followers were Tornado buyers. Anyone?

      Delete
  3. I went looking on the web for more information regarding this Tornado magazine cover and “Battle on asteroid X-44” to find out it was a writing competition, and not a comic story by itself. Readers of Tornado magazine had the opportunity to participate and write a story inspired by the cover page and win 20 £.
    So, I’m asking if any one have a copy of the issue in witch the winner story was published (probably issue 20 or 21).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete