Sunday 5 July 2015

Brian Lewis - A Gallery

I blogged some of Brian Lewis' work back in December 2010 without even realising it.
This cover illustration was from 1976 and was artist unknown by me until this weekend when I stumbled across another piece of Brian Lewis' work; Googled the man and realised his talents had haunted my childhood with out my being aware.
This image is from deep within the pages of the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction (Octopus Books 1978) a Christmas present from back then that I still treasure and look at to this day.

And then there's this little lot.....
1957

1951

1957

1958

1958
 
All a bit before my time but it shows how long Brian was at it and the very high standards he maintained throughout.

And then there was his on going Jet Ace Logan comic strip work.  Jet-Ace Logan was a space pilot with the RAF, 100 years in the future.

And other one off comic stuff like...
Space Tug was featured Countdown Comic somewhere around 1971.
 
We've barely scratched the surface of Brian's work but there's only so much of it I can show you on this site so go look the fellow up on the internet; Enjoy the art and feed the dreams.


Steve

2 comments:

  1. That colour work is new to me, I remember him from his black and white stuff. He had a beautiful, slightly quirky line and a subtle eye for detail. He was also a little unconventional, out on his own style wise but the reflexive shading is a common element within the British comic idiom, represented by figures like Frank Bellemy, Ron Turner and the Embletons. I'm a little surprised you didn't include his Starburst strip, the one with the astronaut being caught short, although it's not one of my personal faves, it's the strip of his that people point out most frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the strip, the 6th form humour bugs me a little and it always seemed out of place in the magazine. I like to pretend it didn't happen!

      Delete